I have dabbled with being dairy-free for quite some time now.
My first experience was back eight years ago when Haddie was a baby. Me being dairy-free meant she was a happier baby. That lasted for a year.
And then again, when Abigail was a baby, I gave up milk and yogurt and ice cream. My nursing babies just weren’t content when I ate dairy!
After Abigail was weaned, I began to connect inflammation with dairy and have been mostly off dairy ever since. That has been over 4 years now.
Of all the lovely foods that dairy gives us, the one that I miss the most has been pizza. Yes, even more than ice cream–which I hardly miss at all because of this shake.
I mentioned being mostly dairy-free because once every couple of weeks over the last few years I would “cheat” and have pizza. Until recently…
I finally discovered a way to make pizza that requires no cheese and still hits that pizza craving. Thanks to the following dairy-free pizza, I have been completely dairy free for several months now!
Frozen spinach, dethawed (I dethaw it overnight in the refrigerator)
Red bell pepper, finely chopped
Onion, finely diced
Herbs: basil, oregano, thyme etc. (fresh or dried)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Saute red pepper and onion in a drizzle of olive oil. When the vegetables are slightly tender, add spinach and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Saute sausage separately and set aside.
- Place an unopened round pita on a baking pan. Spread tomato sauce evenly on top and sprinkle with garlic powder and herbs.
- Spoon desired amount of sausage on top of sauce.
- Spread a thick layer of vegetables on top of sausage and sauce. Place sliced tomatoes on top.
- Bake for 10-15 minute. Then slice and enjoy!!!